We know chronic stress can significantly impact your health, mental well-being, and overall quality of life. While we all endure stressful situations from time to time, long-term stress or significantly traumatic situations have been shown to literally change our DNA. This not only increases our risk of developing certain diseases, but it can impact other things – like our skin and hair.
These negative effects on our physical appearance only lead to more stress, anxiety, and lower self-esteem – which is why it’s so important to keep your stress levels under control.
Dr. Ann Mazor Reed, a board-certified dermatologist and expert in hair and skin health at the Rendon Center in Boca Raton, explains how to address these beauty issues to restore your confidence and look and feel your best.
The Connection Between Stress and Aging
We know stress plays a significant role in aging. Most signs of premature aging like wrinkles, crow’s feet, and frown lines can be attributed to stress and other stress-related lifestyle factors like poor diet, smoking and drinking, excessive sun exposure, or poor sleep. Likewise, stress can also impact your hair follicles, causing it to thin or even fall out in clumps.
“Stress hormones, such as cortisol, that are chronically elevated can not only lead to elevations in blood sugar, and blood pressure, but can also cause acne, acute hair loss such as telogen effluvium and many other skin problems,” Reed said.
De-stressing Your Skin
Giving yourself a self-care day to take care of your skin and hair is great for reducing stress and helping your body recover. If you’re experiencing these symptoms of stressed skin or stress-related hair loss, it might be time to schedule an appointment with a board-certified dermatologist:
- Stress acne
- Unidentified rashes
- Crow’s feet, frown lines, and forehead wrinkles
- Sunken, sullen-looking skin
- Uncontrolled rosacea or eczema symptoms
- Hair thinning around the edges, temples, or nape of the neck
- Patchy hair loss at the crown of the head
By going to a dermatologist rather than a beauty spa or salon you get the benefits of expert knowledge and experience treating all sorts of skin concerns, so you know you’re in good hands.
“We offer all of the same treatments as a beauty spa plus more, but with the added benefit and safety of highly skilled providers and board-certified dermatologists,” Reed said. “My consultations and treatment plans typically also include discussions on stress reduction, nutrition, and general wellness. It is a priority to promote health and not only treat problems when they arise.
Some skin revitalization treatments that are great for de-stressing your skin are include:
- Chemical peels: reduce the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, discoloration, scars, and other texture issues
- Hydrafacials: get fresh glowing skin, get rid of acne, and improve tone and texture of your skin for a brighter, more youthful look
- Microdermabrasion: refresh your skin with a comprehensive exfoliation treatment that removes all the dead and damaged skin to improve the appearance and texture of your skin
- Laser treatments: laser skin resurfacing is incredibly effective in reducing the signs of premature aging in the skin and giving you a healthier glow
- Scalp Health Treatments: reawaken dormant hair follicles and restore your hair’s former lush fullness with all-natural scalp treatments
If you’re in the Boca Raton area and looking for a reputable dermatologist to help de-stress your skin and revive your hair, Dr. Reed and the rest of the team at the Rendon Center are experts in helping you look and feel your best.
“There’s nothing more satisfying than the smiles I see when my patients feel confident and radiant in their skin,” she said.