The Essential Ponytail
It’s Not Just for ‘Sweet Young Things’ Anymore
Ponytails are the “in” thing these days. They’re all the rage on the catwalks of Paris, New York, London, and Milan. You can wear a ponytail if your hair is short or long, curly or straight if you have bangs or not, with a part or without. Easy and stylish, a ponytail can be worn at any age. In fact, a ponytail can make you look younger.
Supermodel hairstylist Harry Josh, who is an ambassador for Goldwell and KMS haircare products, says a tight ponytail “can absolutely lift the face.” In an interview with Harpers Bazaar, world-renowned facial plastic surgeon Dr. Philip Miller of New York explains, “When a woman puts her hair into a high ponytail, she creates a centralized pull on the skin from the forehead to the cheekbones. It’s the exact pull you would want to treat the sagging skin that begins to appear in your early 30s.”
As simple as a ponytail is, however, wear it wisely. According to Dr. Dendy Engelman of Manhattan Dermatology and Cosmetic Surgery in New York, “Hair acts like a magnet for dirt and pollution. Your hair can rub on your face and bedding, making you more susceptible to breakouts.” Likewise, under certain circumstances, a ponytail can lead to hair loss. “If someone wore their hair tightly pulled back every night for years, traction alopecia could occur along the hairline,” explains New York-based dermatologist Dr. Francesca J. Fusco, who specializes in hair and scalp care and is product co-creator of Sunsilk shampoos, manufactured by Unilever.
Women wearing ponytails are depicted on frescoes dating to 2000 BC in Ancient Greece. Seeing as they’ve been popular for four millennia, you can’t go wrong.
- Barbara Eden in the hit 1960s television series, I Dream of Jeannie
- Madonna during her Blind Ambition World Tour 90
- Adriana Grande
- Lady Gaga
- Jennifer Lopez
Why You Should Wear One
- it keeps your hair out of your face when you’re riding in a car with the windows open or in a convertible with the top down
- is essential after swimming
- when you’re horseback riding,
- playing tennis, biking, or when you’re engaged in just about any sport
- is a quick fix if you haven’t been able to wash your hair
- keeps your face from breaking out
- can make you look younger