2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cups of sugar
1 cup cranberries (I usually use dried cranberries, but you can also use fresh ones.)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup orange juice
1 tablespoon orange grated orange rind
- Combine dry ingredients.
- Stir in cranberries.
- Beat egg, orange juice, oil, and orange rind together. Add to the mixture of dry ingredients.
- Stir just enough to moisten (secrets to muffins: stir just enough to mix; there will be lumps, but do not worry).
- Spoon into greased muffin cups (I also use muffin baking cups), and fill 3/4 full (this will make 12 muffins, but I like to make jumbo muffins also, so you can just make 6 large muffins).
- Sprinkle the tops with a little bit of sugar.
- Bake at 400F for 15-20 minutes. They will be nice and brown.
LIBBY DALTON, a Southern girl, has enjoyed a career in banking, owning her own Dynamic Image business, hospital marketing, and public relations. She ended her professional career a few years ago as president and CEO of a local YMCA.
Libby is currently active in a women’s Bible study and looks every day for ways to show someone Jesus. Her husband Charles says, “She sees what most of us walk right past!” During these super active years, she has maintained a real passion for cooking.
Libby resides in Greenville, South Carolina, and her life continues to be enriched by her husband, three children, two daughter-in-laws, and three grandchildren. The grandchildren will never forget their 13 years of attending Grandma’s Camp during the July 4th week each of those summers.
Excerpted from Libby’s Christmas Letters