GG Townson is a Los Angeles native whose inspirational acting career has become the talk of the town. Townson will star as Cheryl James, a.k.a. “Salt” in the upcoming Lifetime biopic Salt-N-Pepa about the eponymous musical duo. GG Townson has also appeared in hit shows such as Everybody Hates Chris, Zoey 101, Cory in the House, Like Family, 30 Days to Life, Joan of Arcadia, and Children’s Hospital.
Perhaps most well known for her recurring role as Stella on the Bounce TV original show In the Cut, Townson is an actress who takes her craft seriously. She is continuously taking scene study, acting, vocal, audition technique and improv classes – plus she does her own stunts! From the Disney Channel to Lifetime, we can’t wait to see where GG Townson will go next.
ELYSIAN’s 22 Questions with GG Townson:
1. What is one thing you can’t live without?
My village! My friends and family keep me sane, grounded, and surrounded by love!!
2. Why is it important for women to support women?
We run the world! We can’t do that successfully and the way it’s intended if we are busy tearing one another down.
3. If you could spend the day with anyone living or dead, who would it be and why?
My dad. I lost him when I was seven years old. I would love to talk with him about all the years he’s missed and ask how he felt about some of the choices I’ve made in my life thus far.
4. What has been the most rewarding project of your career?
The Salt-N-Pepa biopic. When Cheryl became emotional while I was shooting one of my scenes, that was confirmation for me that I was doing the job I was supposed to be doing.
5. When were you happiest?
That’s a pretty hard question! I have a ton of happy memories over my life thus far, so it’s hard for me to place one over another as the happiest. I will say all of these happy moments have one thing in common- simplicity. It doesn’t take much for me to be happy; the more simple, the better.
6. What is the worst job you’ve done?
I can’t say that I’ve had a bad job. All of my jobs have been pretty cool. Even down to background work. I’ve heard horror stories about working background, but thankfully I’ve never had to experience anything like that. I have always had a great time doing background work.
7. Where is one place in the world you would love to visit next?
I would love to visit Thailand. I was gifted an elephant through symbolic adoption, so I would love to go visit her!
8. How do you relax?
I relax when I’m in my bed while watching Netflix. I love my bed so much!
9. What is your daily skincare routine?
I use the Urban Skin Rx even tone system in the morning and at night.
10. What is your most cherished beauty product?
Nars radiance primer. It’s amazing under foundation or alone for a bomb glow!
11. Favorite accessory and why?
My favorite accessory would have to be the class ring I wear on my left hand. It is not mine; it’s my mother’s. I wear it because I never got one of my own, but it is a reminder of the barriers she had to break by being the first black majorette at her high school in Camden, Arkansas.
12. What is your favorite high end brand to splurge on?
Well, honestly, I spend the most money on face products. I am a product junkie. I even make sure I keep backup! The brand I use is Urban Skin Rx, so that’s the brand taking all of my money.
13. What is the biggest misconception about your profession?
That actors have control over anything other than just the acting, in most cases!
14. Which words or phrases do you most overuse?
The most common phrases I overuse are “Listen,” “Sis,” and “Ok girl.”
15. What trait do you most admire in others?
The trait I most admire in others is loyalty and the ability to listen and engage in conversation. I can’t stand someone that only listens for their cues to respond rather than responding from a place of understanding and being in tune with the conversation.
16. Who would play you in the film of your life?
I’m not exactly sure who it would be yet because I know that without a doubt, I would like for it to be new talent. I’m all for giving new talent opportunities!
17. How would you like to be remembered?
I want to be remembered as someone who spread love and did everything with love.
18. What most excites you about playing the role of Cheryl James, aka “Salt” in the upcoming biopic from Lifetime, Salt-N-Pepa?
What excites me the most is that she is such an amazing person and spreads so much light wherever she goes. It’s truly a blessing to have been able to step into her shoes and build the relationship I did with her. I can’t wait to see the film in its entirety.
19. How does the story of Salt-N-Pepa relate to today’s world?
Without giving away the story, I feel it relates to today’s world by demonstrating how true sisterhood can withstand the trials and tribulations of individual paths.
20. What message do you hope to send through your role as Cheryl James, aka “Salt.”
Be true to yourself, and don’t let society control the decisions you make for your life.
21. Your grandfather, Ron Townson, was also a musician. Did this influence your decision to accept this role?
No, my grandfather passed when I was younger, so all of my professional influences as an adult have been my own.
22. You have an incredibly large fanbase, GG. How do you maintain your relationship with your fans?
I try to tap in and post things that can get them engaged with me, and I always try to respond to everything.